Friday, June 30, 2006

Fautess Friday, Tofu, & Broccoli Gratin

He's back! And he's been asking, "Are they saying anything more about me on your blog mom?" I've been telling him that you all want to take him home to cook for them too! With today's post I'm sure we'll have him rented out for the rest of the summer.

To draw you all in today the "theif" presents... FAUSTESS CAKES from Vegan with a Vengeance! Do you hear the music in the background, it's rather dramatic ... dun dun dun dun! (By the way that's still my cookbook, it appears for pictures and then disappears when I want to take it back. However, he is pardoned after this task! He can keep the book!).
Enough cakes here for all of our visitors. :).

This was a real task though, he was in the kitchen for two hours. Lesson today: Read the whole recipe through before you begin to make sure you have all the ingredienst (and you know where they are). He doubles the recipe, but note this in your book. Double only the cupcake recipe, not the fillings, frostings or drizzle because one recipe of those definitely has leftovers enough for both batches of cupcakes.

Of course I present desert first, but we used these to complete the Pomegranite tofu with Coconut rice from the same book. We made the rice in the rice maker, just add a 1/2 C more water or soymilk since it will steam out while cooking to compensate.

Where did he get that great looking steamed broccoli sitting on the side of this tastey yum?

The family Garden of course!

Pup is checking it out for us to make sure all is well.... it is.
We removed the last of the broccoli and cauliflower last night. I took in a large harvest of kale, three plants of red potatoes and my mom found a couple of zucchini.

Here's a great broccoli sauce from Bryanna's free recipe archives, I like to use the white sauce version (scroll down to August 18th sauces for summer veggies):

BRYANNA’S GOLDEN SAUCE OR “MELTED CHEESE”

makes 2 and 1/2c. (wheat-free; can be soy-free)

This sauce is delicious on steamed vegetables or macaroni, and the thicker version can also be spread on toast and broiled for an open-faced “grilled cheese” sandwich, or used to top a casserole and broiled or baked to brown the top a little. This is a variation on a recipe that is in several of my cookbooks.

3/4-1 c. water (use 3/4 c. for “cheese”; use 1 c. for a sauce)

1 medium potato (about 4 oz.), peeled and chunked

(Allergy note: if you are allergic to potato, use 3/4 c. cooked white rice or millet instead of the cooked potato)

1/2 medium carrot, scrubbed and chunked

1/2 a medium onion, peeled and chunked

1/2-3/4 c. medium-firm tofu or extra-firm SILKEN tofu

OR about 1/3 c. raw cashew pieces

2 T. sesame tahini

1/4-1/2 c. nutritional yeast flakes (depending on how “cheesey” you want the flavor)

1 T. lemon juice

1 tsp. salt OR 1 T. light soy or chickpea miso plus1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. garlic granules

Simmer the potato, carrot and onion in a small saucepan with the water, covered, for about 10 minutes, or until the carrot and potato are tender. Add to the blender container with the remaining ingredients. Blend until VERY smooth. Serve immediately or refrigerate, covered for up to a week. (Reheat over gentle heat.) If you make the thicker “cheese” version, and want to use the leftovers for a sauce, you can thin it with a little hot water.

WHITE “CHEESEY” SAUCE: Make the Golden Sauce, but omit the carrot and use only 1/4 c. of nutritional yeast. Use the salt only, not the miso.

13 comments:

Tanya Kristine said...

wowee...why can't i have a son like that???

don't you love that coconut rice? I haven't made the pomegranite tofu but i have made the rice and i was pleasantly surprised...

good job you two. what fun! and nice garden!

urban vegan said...

Your son is a very handsome chef ;)

Gotta' try those Fauxstress Cupcakes--they look great.

Eat Peace Please said...

Your son is awesome. Tell him that (again). I think it's wonderful that he stole the book from you. Maybe he'd be interested in starting a blog of his own, about cooking and his other interests. Didn't you say that your kids have a "band"?

I do look forward to his appearances, as well as the kitty too! I'm a taker for one or two (or the whole batch) cupcakes... since I'm oven-less.

Carrie™ said...

I'm dying to try those cupcakes. They look sooooo good! The recipe makes the process seem rather time consuming so I'll have to save them for a day when I'm not rushed. Did you use the black cocoa that the recipe called for? I don't know where to get any.

Dori said...

We purchased the black cocoa from an amish bulk foods store ... it is called dark cocoa versus dutch process cocoa. Here's a thought....mix in a little instant coffee graniles to get that darker look and slightly bitter flavor if you can't get it otherwise.

I am thinking that a hershey's brand cocoa powder (with no sugar) would be similar.

We used carob powder for the light cocoa, but could have used the dutch process cocoa powder.

MeloMeals said...

Your son is awesome! It's great that he's developed a passon for cooking/baking.. I really need to get my kids more involved..

Freedom said...

Wow, those cakes look outstanding!

Annie said...

Great blog. I love the allergy alerts. I recently developed a sensitivity to nuts. Just over the past few years my tongue and the inside of my cheeks get a little raw if I eat too many nuts. It figures... I love nuts!
Come visit Mixed Salad Annie sometime.

funwithyourfood said...

your son is quite the chef now. Look at him go! You must be proud : )

and good thing you have a pup to check up on things for you

Teddy

PS Don't forget to stop by my blog while I'm on vacation. Richard's still posting for me ;)

Teddy

Dori said...

Hi all and welcome Mixed Salad Annie, I will check out your blog. I am pretty proud of my boy. He is happy to hear your comments. He has to work today, but will be deciding what he will be cooking next week. Melissa is home from her jr staff work at the summer camp, so she'll be in the kitchen too. I think I'm going to start her on those nutty bars from Dreena's cookbook that Leslie has been making over at eatpeaceplease this week.

The fautess cupcakes are worth the toruble, but I would highly recommend making a double batch of cupcakes and share with other or freeze because it is a bit of a chore.

I'm looking forward to seeing what your kids might futurely do in the kitchen Melody.

And Teddy you betcha I will check what RIchard will be posting on your blog. I love seeing the way we eat from different areas. Takes me out of the doldrums of the same ole' here and gives me inspiration to try new things.

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

come on over matt (you can borrow my cookbook) and you've got a full-time job here as our fautess cupcake cook! or anything else you care to bake. they look better than the real thing.

KleoPatra said...

Wow, Dori. Super fantastic photos, recipes, food, garden, dog and son.

I dream about those cupcakes, by the way...

karen said...

I wish I had someone who lived with me who would make those fauxstess cupcakes! How wonderful that your son is trying recipes in the kitchen. It looks like he did a fabulous job!