Thursday, April 06, 2006

Simply Irresist-a-bowl

1 lb. brussels sprouts, washed and halved
Spray of olive oil to coat
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1-2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar or lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
Directions: Toss the brussels sprouts with the remaining ingredients and roast on an old dark cookie sheet in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes. Stir. Roast for another 5 - 10 minutes (check on them). This can be done with cauliflour and/ or bell peppers.

I served these along side my multigrain pasta topped with raw pasta sauce (salsa cruda con olives). I purchased a 6 lb 6 oz can of diced organic tomatoes and this is one way I used it this week (although this sounds like a huge amount, after making this and a pan of feijoada... I have some left for the other items (like hash and cornucopias) and then it will be gone.

For the RAW TOMATO SAUCE: I minced up 1 medium yellow onion, 6 cloves garlic, 1 Cup canned artichokes quarters (water packed), 4 C of the diced tomatoes with a little of the juice in my hand crank processor because I didn't want puree. To this I added 1/2 tsp sea salt, 3 Tbsp good quality dry basil, 1/2 Tbsp light virgin olive oil, veggie pepper to taste, and 1/2 C sliced black olives. I left this set in the frig overnight for the flavors to blend, which was good. My daughter and I enjoyed this. The guys that live here prefer a more sweet tomato flavor, like a cooked sauce would have... that's okay, more for us! I ended this meal with a chocolate tofu smoothie. This will be excellent when I have an overload of fresh tomatoes in August... I'm looking forward to it!

No comments: