Saturday, April 08, 2006

Mexican Vegan Flauta's


Mama Schmoo from the vegan lunchbox made some of these in March. She mentioned getting fresh corn tortillas, even watched them being made (awesome!). I didn't do that, but I finally had the opportunity to see how corn tortillas could be used. I have tried them before in various casseroles but never liked any of the ways I used them... making these flautas with their crispy corn coating dipped in a commercially prepared chili sauce was a pleasing meal. I love it when I hear my family take a bite and say, "mmmmm". Here's some info I got from an internet dictionary...

SYLLABICATION: flau·ta
PRONUNCIATION: flout ä
NOUN: A corn tortilla rolled around a filling, such as beef, chicken, or cheese, into a thin cylinder and sometimes deep-fried. (okay mine are none of these!)
ETYMOLOGY: Spanish, flute, probably from Old Provençal flaüt. See flute.

For the filling of my flauta's I used Spicy Mexican Bean Dip,
taken directly from The Fiber For Life Cookbook by Bryanna Clark Grogan.
Whirl in the food processor for several minutes until a light texture is achieved:
4 1/2 C cooked beans (3 - 15 oz cans) of choice
1 small onion
2 Tbsp cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground oregano
3 cloves garlic or 1 tsp garlic granules
1 tsp chili powder (I use mild, but a good dark variety)
2 tsp pureed canned chilie chipotle in adobado sauce (opt)

I spread about 3 Tbsp of filling down the center of the warmed corn tortilla and folded in the sides (to make the "flute" shape). On a hot lightly oiled griddle (like for pancakes) I pan "fried" these fold side down until they were spotted brown and crispy (flat griddle, non stick coating lightly sprayed with oil). If they started browning to fast I turned down the temperature. Cook the flauta for 3-4 minutes (adjust time as needed) and flip to cook the other side.

I noticed that sometimes the corn tortilla would flake on the surface or crack along the side. I just kept cooking it until it was good and crispy and then it held it' shape. The "flaking went away when I cooked the side that was flaking. I served this with a shredded romaine salad, sliced bell peppers, and my favorite sweet mustard salad dressing.

5 comments:

Eat Peace Please said...

Yum. You make amazing things. Since I live so close to Mexico, I found it super-funny you have the pronunciation, etc listed. I see this stuff all the time, just not veganized like your wonderful meal!

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Looks so good...this is like comfort food for me after living in CA for so long.

Anonymous said...

I was looking at a recipe yesterday that is very similar. These look so yummy! I'll havt to make these soon. I have been wanting to try to make the corn tortillas and this will be a great opportunity to do so. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Will you share your sweet mustard salad dressing? It sounds great.

Dori said...

Leslie (eatpeace) ... this is not typical food in my rural midwest area, but it is NOW!

Starla, yes I will make a posting soon on the salad dressing recipes. Thanks for visiting my blog!