Monday, August 28, 2006

Jalepeno Cheez Bread Lunch

Here's a picture of my lunch from the other day. This post is in honor of my sis who has now managed to lose 60 pounds over the past 12 months (she's omni). She loved something called jalepeno poppers which is a fried finger food. I made a jalepeno soy mozz bread roll for her awhile back and she thought it was amazing. I had lunch with her today and this is what we ate. I'm typically not a hottie, but I can handle canned jalepeno pepper slices.

I took small peices of canned jalepeno pepper peices, placed them on top of some multigrain bread and topped with frozen shredded Bryanna white chedda' cheese. (another recipe available to her newsletter subscribers). I broiled it to perfection in our toaster oven. I have three thin peices of griddle seared tofu (dipped in soysauce prior to griddling with sauteed onion and mushrooms), a side salad, and a bit of the mushroom marinara that I canned yesterday for the jalepeno bread slices. I dipped my bread into the marinara. If I had the talent to add a sound link button for you to push, you would hear something like, "MM ... mmm!".

LUNCHBOXES ...
Of course, leftover suppers always make it into lunch boxes and here is the shake and bake tofu with dijon style nayonaise and lettuce leaf, banana with kokobits, and dilled carrot sticks. I know the schmoo box ALWAYS included a fantastic assortment of a veggie.... we are vegan and I have a mindset towards healthier eating, but I would never get away with some of the veggies or the veggie salad combo's that Jennifer did (not that I wouldn't eat them, but even if they were packed for my group they would come home or be thrown away so I wouldn't know... or so they think). Melissa said the sandwich was filling and she didn't have time for the others so she finished off the carrots and bananas in the afternoon.

A teaser of what is to come....

I pulled these items out my my misc drawer more than a week ago and since then they have been laying on my counter. I've only had them for two years and the original papers and packaging is still there ... ummm, maybe they are antique by now and worth some money :o) ! But I couldn't sell them, cause I need them for

Urban Vegan's T'Art Contest .

Honestly, I have been hoping for these little pans to talk to me so I would know what to do with them (Do you think I might be beginning to suffer from a little B 12 deprivation?) .... but they haven't (WHEW!), so I've been searching through a few cookbooks. You could be my competition if you hurry to get your entry in... August 31st is only a few days away. Check it out and join the fun!

18 comments:

Cherie Anderson said...

I want to see the tart when you're done with it! I can finally view your blog now w/o my page closing up on me. Whew!

Anonymous said...

That plate looks goooood !

Can't wait to see the tART you create!

Shananigans said...

Mmmm, jalapeno poppers are really yummy, in a gross deep fried cheese kind of way. They’re usually filled with cheddar, but I always preferred the ones filled with cream cheese, dipped in blue cheese or ranch dressing. I’d probably get ill if I tried to down a basket of those now, but back in my college days…well lets just say lots of greasy junk tastes good after a few brews. Your healthy jalapeno melt with marinara actually sounds much tastier, not to mention healthier. Congrats to your sister, a 60 pound loss is nothing to sneeze at! I set out to lose 50 – 60 in a year last October, looks like I’ll be coming up short on that one. Oh well, progress is progress, right?

Your lunchboxes are looking great, I bet that shake and bake tofu makes and awesome sandwich filling.

Can’t wait to see your tart creation. Glad you have your tools sitting out for inspiration. ;)

Jennifer C. said...

Good luck with the tart competition Dori! With you entering, I wouldn't stand a chance.

I made Bryanna's Vegan Gruyere the other day and was amazed - it really does melt! I'll have to try some of her other "cheezes". Thanks for letting us know about them!

MeloMeals said...

That lunch you made for your sister.. omg, I want that.. every day... it looks fabulous.

I'm the same way when I pack lunches.. I know what will be thrown away or not eaten and I don't bother sending it. I'm glad they eat as well as they do.

Can't wait to see what you are making for the tart... I THINK I'm going to do something, but I'm not sure what yet. I'm not a huge fan of baking...

Tanya Kristine said...

you love that bryanna lady don't you? you're going to make me subscribe.

that jalapeno bread looks fabulous. 60#'s!! on a protein diet?

Anonymous said...

Your jalapeno cheeze bread looks and sounds delicious! Yum!!!

Anonymous said...

Jalapeno cheese bread - yum!

I'm with you -- I try to pack healthy things in my daughter's lunch box but the food comes back uneaten. Best to stay with the sure favorites, not as much waste that way.

funwithyourfood said...

I loove jalapeno cheese bagels. they're so good.
congrats to your sister- that's quite a feat
more than half of my lunches are leftovers. I love them

teddy

urban vegan said...

Congrats to your sister. That is quite and accomplishment. And I'll bet she looks hotter than the jalapeno cheese bread, which, by the way, looked sizzlin' to me.

My lunch box looks so pathetic compared to yours. Omniman and I get no choco-bits. But hey, we can dream, right? You give us hope.

I smiled from ear to ear as soon as I saw those tART panz. Yay, Dori....

Anonymous said...

baby tarts like that would be so cute. You could take this contest...I konw you could!

Kuntal Joisher said...

the jalapeno cheese sandwich sounds yumm and actually easy to make.. I'm gonna try this one coz its easy.. hehe..

KleoPatra said...

Au contraire, you ARE a hottie, Dori! :o)

Love what you made with the jalapeno soy mozz poppers! YUM! I don't think i've ever had "the real thing" but i would try your version in oh, about a red hot minute!!

Just the thought of griddle seared tofu dipped in soy sauce w/sauteed 'shrooms and onions makes my heart sing and my stomach growl. YUMMY!

Shake & bake tofu is gettin' the great lunch treatment, how awesome... your lunchboxes are wonderful. Keep up the great work, Dori.

Dori said...

Tanya, my sis has been following The Biggest Loser and exercising. Her favorite thing is an online membership talk board in which she loves to connect with others and enter challenges.

Anonymous said...

Damn! Why can't I comment on your Tart for T'Art post? Blogger has been really acting up lately. No good. :(

Your Tart for T'Art post cracked me up. It was so clever and witty and if you don't win the contest, I'll declare Urban Vegan insane! I was having such a miserable night and this really did cheer me a bit.

Thanks friend.

Dori said...

Thanks VV... I accidentally published the post. I meant to store it as a draft and took it down, it will be back up on the 31st. I'm so happy it cheered you... a good accident happened. :)

Amy O'Neill Houck said...

Jalepeno poppers sound so good... Made me realize I haven't had breakfast yet, gotta run!

theONLYtania said...

Hey, congratulations to your sister!

The lunchbox looks so fun.. I kind of want to make shake and bake tofu now too! Hehe. Mostly just so I can have awesome sandwiches the next day.