Monday, August 21, 2006

Cherry Almond Muffins and tagged

Here's a picture of the muffins Melissa made for me. They are a bit smaller than what I would have done because she made 18 out of a recipe I make 12 from. She followed the 2/3 "rule", I don't with these muffins and for me they always rise into perfect little dome tops ... that doesn't always happen, but it does with this recipe. I got the idea for these from VwaV cookbook. I like many of the recipes in this book, but am unhappy with white flour and sugar. For a breakfast muffin I wanted it to be a bit more fibrous and hearty, so I combined the idea of this recipe with a favorite recipe of Bryanna's that we love (Almond Crumb Cakes). The end result became ...

Dori 's Birthday Cherry Almond Muffins
I do not add almonds to the muffin batter, but these are topped with a sweet crunchy almond topping. They were grand and I think I will ask for them next year too.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine Wet Mix in a small mixing bowl:
1 3/4 cup vanilla soymilk (or add 1/2 tsp vanilla extract)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup applesauce
1 1/2 Tbsp vinegar OR same amount lemon juice
2 tsp almond extract
3/4 tsp KAL brand stevia extract powder (you can try another brand, but the results will probably not be the same... I notice a "stevia" taste when I use other brands

Combine Dry Mix in a medium mxing bowl:
1 1/2 cup spelt flour OR same amount unbleached organic all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder

Combine the wet mix into the dry mix, stir until just mixed - do not over mix. Then stir in:
1- 1 1/4 cups pitted and quartered Sweet Cherries (note change from original publish)

Crumble Topping:
1/3 C slivered almonds
1/4 C unbleached sugar or sucanat
1/4 C whole wheat pastry OR spelt flour
2 Tbsp melted Earth Balance or preferred margarine

Fill 12 non stick (I use I CARE brand) parchment paper type muffin cups full, 18 for the size muffins pictured but I prefer 12. Comine the almond crumble top ingredients and spoon 1 Tbsp of this over each of 12 muffins OR divide evenly if making 18 muffins. Bake 18-22 minutes (until toothpick test done). Use the shorter time if making 18 muffins, the longer of making 12.

We also ate sandwiches and blackened tofu salads this weekend. Here you see my firm tofu slices sauting on a hot flat griddle pan. I like to cook mine with onions. I did marinate the tofu before cooking on the non-stick. I also like to slice it thinner like this so that it absorbs more flavor. I often use the marinade as a cooking liquid, over the hot heat the tofu soaks up more of the marinade flavor.

We often eat our meals like this. Dave prefers sandwiches (sourdough bread in this meal topped with a savory mushroom sauce) while I prefer salads (yellow pepper, red tomatoes, blckened tofu/mushroom/onions topped with a few slivers of almond). Matt often likes everything separate... protein, bread toasted, and then fruit and/or green salad on the side. Melissa varies between sandwiches and salad. I have found the family to be happier at meals when I have "eating options" then we all feel like the meal is designed for us.

I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying what is considered the last part of summer. The peppers, tomatoes, and canteloupe in the picture at the side were grown in our garden.


I have been tagged by kunsjoi, the computer engineer and future door to door soymilk salesman. This tag is to allow me to share 5 favorite quotes with you. There is a list here and I chose five from this list.
"Determine never to be idle...It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing."
Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
"Working in the garden...gives me a profound feeling of inner peace."
Ruth Stout
"Frugality without creativity is deprivation."
Amy Dacyczyn
Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Critic as Artist
and at last...
this one seems appropriate for my blogger land friends.
"I have you and even if we never meet or ever see each other, we have left our thumbprints in the thick, moist clay of each other's lives."
Hugh Elliott, Standing Room Only weblog, May 6, 2003

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great quotes - especially like the Hugh Elliott quote. We really do leave our thumbprints on each other's lives.

Personally, I'm a sandwich person but your salad looks really good. All the tofu posts on the blogs make me almost want to try it -- almost. I'm not quite there yet but yours looks really good.

Anonymous said...

What a great muffin conversion. They look scrumptious. I love the blogger quote. Very appropriate.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dori,
Particularly love the Amy Dacyczyn and Oscar Wilde quotes. So true !

Can you tell me if it is possible to find the KAL stevia online and where? I can't find that here and you really have inspired me to give it a try.

Thanks !

Dori said...

http://vitanetonline.com/
description/10412/vitamins/
Pure-Stevia-Extract-Powder/

There is also a link on my sidebar.
Gaia, I'm glad you stopped by.

KleoPatra said...

Happy belated birthday, Dori!! Oh i am so sorry i missed it on line, but i did think of you often on my trip!

Sending bright wishes your way for a most wonderful year with the best of everything to you!!

Love love love the quotes and those muffins look exquisite! Melissa, what a sweetie...

The blackened tofu is a treat after my own heart.

H
A
P
P
Y

B
I
R
T
H
D
A
Y
,

D
O
R
I
!

Healthy, productive year to you and your loved ones.

*HUGS*

madeinalaska said...

love you got some muffins for your birthday! that is really thoughtful, and really a well deserved treat, eh?

I also can really appreciate the dinner full of options and keeping all of your family members in mind..its really tricky sometimes>> I KNOW!!!
funny the Amy Dacyczyn qoute struck me
take care
julee

funwithyourfood said...

aw what a nice blogger quote :)

thanks for the smile!

Teddy

Candi said...

It all looks great! Your daughter was so sweet to make you those muffins!

I do the same with the flur and sugar substitutions. :P I like the more "hearty" muffins, pancakes, and even cakes now!

I have yet to try Stevia though! If and when I do - I know which brand to buy! KAL! Lol

Nice quotes. The last is so appropriate and sweet for your blogger friends!

Harmonia said...

There's a note for you at Veggin Out! :)

Mikaela said...

Check you out, making the whole fam feel like they're your favorite. You're good, Dori :)

The veggies and fruit from your garden look lovely!

:) Mikaela

Anon said...

Hi! Those muffins look really good! I'm going to try to make lemon poppyseed muffins today. I hope they come out as good as yours! :P

urban vegan said...

Great muffins. Great tofu and salads. Great quotes. Great post. Great blog!

Kuntal Joisher said...

the tofu pics on your and jess' blog are the best.. yummmmm!!! that sourdough sandwich looks totally delish.. I like sourdough bread a lot.. but for now I've decided to switch to sprouted whole wheat bread :-)

also great quotes.. specially the one by Amy Dacyczyn!!

and door to door soymilk salesman made me laugh like crazy.. hehehe.. hehehe.. hehe..

Crystal said...

Happy Birthday Dori!! Hope you had a great one.

Love the tofu pics...never thought to put onions in there with them. Thanks for the idea.

-Crystal

Tanya Kristine said...

those muffins do look lovely.

the quote had "moist" in it..ew.

hahaha...

Dori said...

Only lovable Tanya would see the word moist in a heartfelt touching quote post. :)

Thanks all for your comments. It really makes my day to see them all. The Amy D quote was my favorite too.

Rebecca said...

Hi Dori :)
Happy Belated B-day! Your blog is awesome!

We have something else in common, I used to live in IA, down in Fairfield. Good luck to Matt in his new schooling set up! :)

Tanya Kristine said...

Hey Dori...did you ever post a pix of your refrigerator? i coulda swore it was you?

Dori said...

I did post a pix of the outside, but not the inside. I think you are thinking of melody.

Tanya Kristine said...

you are right. it was melody...thank you!!

laura k said...

Dori, your muffins look fabulous as does your tofu salad. And I do love that quote. Thank you!