Friday, August 11, 2006

Dori can sew.


I finished the shirt I mentioned last week. It is the final project of a class called TX 121, designed for FCS teaching certification seekers who need basic sewing skills to teach in secondary education classrooms.

See Dori sew.

Here is the olive green cotton camp shirt, style B with interfaced collar, cuffs complete with pleats and button hole closure, and my machine can sew button holes :D. You can see that the sewing details include matching thread color and really neat wooden buttons. It is adorned with two simple branches of rosemary in picture one just because they happened to be laying on the table when I wanted to take this picture.

Sew Dori sew.

Will I ever wear this... It is to big and has some crooked sewing, but maybe I will. I really like the color and the buttons. Perhaps it will go well as a light jacket over a turtleneck and skirt this fall.

My next plan is to make a skirt that uses a 2 hour "easy" pattern and no where near the skill that this one did. The skirt will probably be the one I would wear with this :).

Dori can cook to, but you'll have to wait for the next blog entry to see that.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, good job. Last time I tried to sew was in 7th grade. Made a skirt that actually lasted aboutt two years before it started falling apart. ;)

Crystal said...

Very cool! I have a sewing machine, but Ryan is more skilled at it than I am - how funny is that?

Good job Dori!

-Crystal

Mikaela said...

excellent work, ms. dori! :)

Tanya Kristine said...

you hav ethe patience of a saint.

i remember my mom teaching me how to sew. i creid and yelled and screamed....and i was 26. i have ZERO patience...

urban vegan said...

Dori can do everything. And well. And still reamin humble and sweet.

Dori, I think you are perfect.

MeloMeals said...

That is a very huge project... I can't imagine taking on a shirt like that.

Anonymous said...

Great shirt. I have a sewing machine and have used it to make countless curtains. I want to attempt to make some other things, like a really cute bohemian skirt, but you know, the cost of fabric is so expensive. I can usually buy the skirt (or any other clothes) at a discount shop for significantly less.

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

dori CAN sew....beautifully. i love sewing -- mostly quilts & girl's dresses.

Candi said...

You are so talented!! That shirt looks beautiful! I love the buttons too. I'm so impressed!

Anonymous said...

That was a pretty ambitious undertaking for your first sewing attempt -- good job! I personally do better with Iron On Wonder Under! My sewing machine has lots of dust on it.

madeinalaska said...

Dori that is soo great!! you must be very proud of yourself.. my mom is the ultimate seemstress, she tried to teach me once back in high school.. i am afraid i am far to ADD to have ever completed a project.. like crystal my hubby does the sewing in this house.. brovo

Luna said...

Dori, this is really beautiful, i love the color very much, green is my favorite one!and you have to wear it!!

Kuntal Joisher said...

yayyy!! for dori!!

KleoPatra said...

Hey, i've been hoping to see your crafty sewing work, Dori. Great job, kiddo.