Friday, May 05, 2006

Breakfast Snacking Cake & Mushrooms

What an unlikely combination, but I didn't eat the two together.
I got the idea for this breakfast cake from the gingerbread baked oatmeal posted by Fiber at 28 Cooks. I used what I had on hand and basically totally remade it keeping only the use of oatmeal and cracked 7-grain cereal mix the same. Mine is sugar/ molasses free and tropical in anticipation of warmer weather.

Here's my take on it: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the dry in a medium mixing bowl:
1 1/2 C rolled oats, 1 1/2 C cracked grain cereal mix, 1 Tbsp baking power, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp or more cinnamon. Combine in blender 1 1/2 C soymilk & 1/4 C flax seed and 1 Tbsp Ener-G egg replacer until thickened. Add and blend again 1/2 C unsweet applesauce, 1 Tbsp olive oil, and 3/4 tsp KAL brand stevia extract powder (or to taste) or 3/4 to 1 C sweetener of choice. Add 1 cup crushed tropical fruit (or pineapple), stir until combined. Pour into an 8x8 pan. Bake 45 minutes. It is a moist bar, but does an okay job of staying together.

I won't call this dish a dessert for a sweety tooth family, but it sure made a nice breakfast / snack for me today. Perhaps I should use this blog entry as a food confession diary - I ate the whole pan of this today mostly by myself, except for three peices. However, this pan of goodies and various veggies is all I ate today for meals and quick grab snacks while I was mowing our yard and the fields. I need to do something "real" for meals tommorrow.

MUSHROOM HEAVEN...
Also, about those morrell mushrooms - this was sure yummy. I placed sliced morrell mushrooms into the slowcooker, (about 1 1/2 - 2 lb worth, 8 Cups worth), 2 large onions sliced thinly into 2" strips, 2 Tbsp minced garlic, 1/4 C soy sauce, and 1/4 C red wine, 4 tsp Bills Best b**fy flavor powder, and 1 C water. I cooked them several hours and then left the lid off and allowed it to continue cooking until some of the liquid cooked off. I served some on top of a boca burger with shredded vegan gruyere on whole grain bread.... ummm, WOW! I wish I had a picture but I just couldn't hold back.

I've also added the mushrooms sauteed in various tofu scrambles. DH likes them sauteed in butter with a bready crust. I will always make a pan like I did above and even purchase regular fresh storebrand mushrooms just to have more again, but for awhile we'll have little frozen baggies from this load of morrell. I think I'll go with DH next time, a walk in the woods sounds fun even if we don't find anything.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sitting here sipping my Jasmine Green Tea wishing I could have a bite of that cake. (lol)

The mushrooms sound interesting. I have never gone mushroom hunting (don't know enough about them). I love mushrooms, and am glad you are able to get a bounty full. :)

Regina said...

Both sound/look great. One thing I don't like about store bought breakfast bars/cakes is that they're too sweet. I'll have to try your recipe! Thanks!

Harmonia said...

I responded to your comments on my blog. Tasty looking pic you have posted here.

Dori said...

Hi Michelle. Cake would go well with tea.
Creative Kismet - glad you stopped by. I just spent an hour this morning reading your blog, thanks for stpping by.
Harmonia - I'm on my way to go check out the comments.

primaryconsumer said...

Yummm. I'm going to try the snacking cake soon. It sounds a little like the oatmeal bars I made recently, so I'm sure everyone will love it. The mushrooms sounded great too!

spiceislandvegan said...

Hi Dori,

I finally able to read your blog. Strange I don't know why I got run time error and then everything disappeared when I tried to read your blogs in the past few days. Your last posted blog cleared it up somwhow. No clue what is the reason.

Need to catch up with your posts!

I love the California Quinoa Sushi and will try it. Yum! What a great idea!

SIV

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! Home security cameras fake Kimono patterns dress